Wednesday, July 20, 2011

...apparently I have a secret bowl obsession at night!

Who knew? Not me! Well not until I started cleaning out our kitchen cabinets. I know I said my next post was going to be about closets, but the other day I was cooking and I banged my elbow for the bajillionth time trying to pull something out of this awkward cabinet in our kitchen and my mind was made up!

I realized there were three cabinets in the kitchen that I used a lot, but were extremely inconvenient for me. So I decided I was going to finally start making my kitchen more normal functional. In each cabinet there were so many random things that I couldn't ever remember where what was and what we even had!



Has that ever happened to you? You'll come across something in your cabinets and go "Oh yeeaaahhhh..." No? Anywho! Here's what they looked like to start off:







I gotta lotta stuff in there!





First things first...Clear the space! And so I did...

Now the second major step is "Find the functionality". Realize what you want to use the space for before filling it back up with the same crap you had jammed in there. Ask yourself: "Self, could I use this area in a more functional way?" If the answer is yes, then great! Figure out what else you want to use it for and fillerup! If the answer is no, great! Sort through everything and make sure you only keep in that area what it's function is for.

For example, stay away from putting all your leftover containers in one cabinet along with a cheese grater and a rolling pin and a dip bowl and a flower vase. Or putting all of your scarves in a closet with vacuum bags and extra pillows and tennis rackets. Unless...that closet is where the winter clothes are and the vacuum and it's in the guest room/workout room. See what I'm sayin? As long as what you put in the space serves functionality,then you are less likely to get unorganized.


So in one cabinet I put my massive pile of strainers (this household eats a whole lotta pasta) and the kitty food.




Why you ask did I put two random things together? Because that cabinet is right next to the kitty bowls and the sink. Great functionality!!

Next I put my 98something bowls all in the same cabinet because that is right in front of where I usually cook and I use the things in there the most and it's the most convenient cabinet!! I had NO idea how many bowls we had. It's weird...

There's even more bowls behind those bowls...I just felt weird showing them all.

Finally was the island of misfit toys cabinet of not-so-oftenly-used kitchen appliances. There isn't really anything in here that I use regularly, and so it all goes in the awkward cabinet so I don't have to bang my dang elbow mess with it as much anymore!



Birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and there's a big fat smile on my face. Is there a closet or cabinet in your house that has the ironing board and the watering can and the sleeping bags and the old video game system stowed away? Don't be afraid! There can be functionality again!

P.S. I did this to our cat and bird food to remove their chunky bags...it's an old tea pitcher and a bucket we weren't using from the garage. Love!


**I am available for hire in the northern Indianapolis area. Please feel free to email me at organizerbyday(@)gmail(dot)com for further information. I look forward to organizing with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment