Saturday, January 4, 2014

Sugar-Coated, Oven-Roasted Nuts

Well if you were anywhere near the Midwest and bravely attempted to go to the grocery store today this is what you saw:

No those aren't people shopping for apparel, those are checkout lines backed up through the clothes! You'd think it was Armageddon in Meijer. We had to go grocery shopping because we had been putting it off since before Christmas. It was so frustrating because I was doing a big shopping trip and they were out of so many things! Cat litter? Seriously people? I need it for my actual cats. Chicken? Ground Beef? Milk? Bread? Chicken Stock? Guys you won't be able to make it to the store for like a couple days, not a couple months. We had to buy a few things we don't usually buy name brand (which is hard for me to do because I'm the epitome of a penny pincher), but we ended up getting everything we needed. Hubby might have elbowed some people out of the way to get that last gallon of milk...I digress.

This time of year I'm always reminded of one of the greatest cities in the world...New York! Several years ago my sister and her Hub eloped there in December and I got to tag along. I haven't been since, but am dying to get back. We planned a trip a few years ago, but then we got engaged and well, needless to say my priorities and budget changed :) One of the many things I love about that city is the FOOD!! Cheesecakes? Yes. Pizza? Absolutely amazing. Sugar Coated, Oven-Roasted Nuts? My favorite! Luckily for me I don't have to wait until we've saved enough money for NY and can have the nuts in the comfort of my own home!

These are so easy and soo addictive. I'm not kidding. My husband took one look at these and gave me this "Those look gross" face. Then he ate one. Then another. Another. Finally he had a bowl in front of him and chomped down the whole pile! They are that good.


Ingredients:
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 egg whites
1 T vanilla
1/2 lb walnuts
1/2 lb pecans

Directions:
Combine the sugar, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Coat a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray or use a mat.

In your mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla with the whisk attachment until it becomes very frothy. Stir in the nuts with a wooden spoon. Slowly pour in the sugar a little at a time, stirring after each addition. Pour the nuts onto the baking sheet, making sure they aren't overlapping. Bake for one hour, stirring after every 15 minutes. Enjoy!


What's your favorite city to visit...near or far? Where are you planning on vacationing this year? We already have a trip to the Gulf planned and are looking for a new place to go so throw me some ideas! Anyone like Maine? Seattle? I'm thinking coastal!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to a little claireification, the country cook, tidy mom, the self sufficient homeacre, bloom design, a glimpse inside, sweet bellaroos, buns in my oven, kitchen meets girl, smart school house, the diy dreamer, naptime creations, titus 2 tuesday, coastal charm, made in a day, cedar hill farmhouse, homecoming mn, between naps on the porch, rain on a tin roof, dwellings-the heart of your home, huckleberry love, by stephanie lynn, diy hshp

18 comments:

  1. yummy! you can usually get these here at the ball game and I scarf them all down. Not sure why I never thought to make my own but now I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these nuts!! But that store is scary!! Just dropping in from Lets Get Social sunday to make sure I am following in as many ways as possible (and I did and am!)
    :)))
    Hugs
    PS Just pinned these nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you at the social Sunday! As another girl living in the midwest, I too battled the grocery store yesterday. It was like the world was ending. And you know, we should be used to this sort of weather by now, shouldn't we?

    Stay warm! Following on GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely delicious! I love sugar-coated nuts, but have never made them myself. I'm your newest GFC, pinterest and fb follower. I'd love for you to link these up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop this week. It goes live on Wednesday at 8pm central. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I used to get these as a gift from someone every Christmas many years ago. I no longer work with the woman who made them, and I miss those sugar-coated pecans! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'm pinning for later. :-)
    New Year blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm definitely putting these down as a must-try. I'm pretty sure I have never tried these, but something's telling me that I'm gonna love 'em. Pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! I know my husband would love them too. Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these...can't stop eating them, DELISH!!! I was wondering if I could use a sugar substitute as not to pack on so many pounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If you find a substitute let me know!

      Delete
  9. Oh yum! Those look so good! I have never been to NY ( I live in the West) but I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I love these nuts too! Thanks for stopping by Wonderful Wednesday blog hop. I pinned you post!
    Blessings,
    Diane Roark
    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sugar coated nuts they make your house smell wonderful and they have amazing flavor! Yummy :-)
    Cathy
    www.threekidsandafish.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of sugar coated nuts and usually only get them at a fair in the summer time. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love coated nuts and your recipe looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look really good! I wonder if I could make them with truvia or splenda?

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cost a fortune in the grocery store and I love them. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete