Sunday, February 16, 2014

Homemade Corn Dogs!

Well I've decided I don't care what the weather is outside...inside my house it's going to be summer! I got the itch for some good old fashioned fair food the other day and whipped up a few yummy favorites of mine I normally only get one time of the year. That glorious time of year that has almost been forgotten due to the 73 four feet of snow we've had dumped on us this winter.

It's called Summer. Do you remember it? That amazing time where you could still feel your face if you were outside for more than five minutes. That happy time when you actually liked being outside and driving a car. That time when the wind blowing was welcome because the sun was not only out...but was warm. None of this trickery where the sun is out for days but the Weather Man says -12 was the high. I dream of those days and hope they are here again soon. But for now, I will make food like it is summertime to tide me over. Which is why I made Homemade Corn Dogs!
Corn Dogs are one of those foods that takes me back to Indiana summers as a kid. Weekends consisted of any festival or fair my Dad could find. If there was a flea market or country star showdown or bonfire within 30 miles of us, we were going. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of summer nights with fried food on a stick, fireflies in a jar with a leaf (its obvious meal of choice), hot air balloons popping up everywhere at sunset, teaching my sister how to swim in our little above ground pool, and setting off fireworks with my siblings while camping in some random town. All things I can't wait to do when I'm a Mom. May sound weird, but corn dogs remind me of all of that. It's funny how the little things in life can mean so much more :)
So to make these just mix up your dry ingredients, add in your wet ingredients, dip the dog, fry the dog, then eat! Yum! I made four whole corn dogs and two cut into bite size corn dogs but had plenty of batter left over to coat at least two or three more. So based on these measurements I will say you could make eight whole corn dogs.
These were actually pretty fun to make...and easy! The results were amazing! They tasted just like the ones I get at the Indiana State Fair every summer. I couldn't decide if the big ones or the bite size were my favorite...so I ate both!
I had to keep slapping Hub's hand away as I was taking pictures of the little bite size ones because he couldn't stop devouring them.
Ingredients:
3/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
10 Tbsp (1/2 Cup+1/8 Cup) Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Egg, slightly beaten
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 Tbsp Honey
6-8 Hot Dogs, two cut into pieces (We use Hebrew National)
Wooden skewers (optional, not needed if you're only making bite sized)
Oil for frying

Directions:
Preheat the oil in a medium sauce pan to 350 degrees, on medium. Cut up two (or all) of the hot dogs into bite size pieces.

In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and garlic powder until mixed well. Add in the slightly beaten egg, milk, vegetable oil and honey. Stir everything together and pour into a tall and skinny drinking glass. Put the bite size pieces into the bowl that just had the cornmeal mix and set aside.

Skewer the remaining hotdogs and dunk them one at a time into the glass, making sure to coat well and let some batter drip off. As soon as you dunk it, drop it in the fryer. Let it fry on each side for about two minutes, then pull out with tongs and transfer to a paper towel.

Once all the dogs on sticks are done, pour the remaining batter back into the large bowl over the cut up hot dog pieces. Using a fork, scoop out pieces and add them to the oil, making sure to turn after about 30-45 seconds, or until golden brown. Grab the bites out of the oil with tongs and transfer to a paper towel. Get out your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!




Want an actual deep fryer?

Got all your supplies?



So what food reminds you of something awesome? Have any fun summer memories you're dying to share? Love to hear them! Got another fair favorite I'm attempting that I'll be sure to share with you soon!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to the best of the weekend, weekend potluck, tickled pink, thursday style, friday flash, kitchen fun and crafty friday, wicked awesome wednesday, inspire me wednesday, whats cookin wednesday, wake up wednesday, SoMe2, creative muster, tuesday greens, tutorial tuesday, link party tuesday, tuesday talent show, share your stuff tuesdays, titus 2 tuesday, the scoop, make it pretty monday, the diy'ers, metamorphosis monday, more the merrier monday, give me the goods, frugal crafty home, much ado about monday, craftomaniac monday, amaze me mondays

17 comments:

  1. These looks so delicious! Im going to pin this to make later for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic? Honey? Yum! I love this recipe. Definitely want to try it. Dawn @ We Call It Junkin
    History & Home party, Tue-Fri weekly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! There's so many ways to snazz this up. I love you, hehe sorry. Thanks for sharing, I'm liking this post on Bloglovin. I hope you've had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy My daughter loves corn dogs I would feel less guilty if I made them for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up next week!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I LOVE this idea. It has been so cold and so snowy. What a nice summer treat this will be. :-) I would like to invite you to come and share this with my "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/02/try-new-recipe-tuesday-february-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE fair food - especially corn dogs! It's what my youngest and I always choose! Pinned these so I could make them soon - I bet my boys are going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great way to control what your family is eating instead of chancing it with grocery store corn dogs! Thanks for linking up at Tell Me About It Tuesday. I can't wait to see what you share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my Fabulous Friday Link Party and Giveaway. Love this recipe for corn dogs... Even though im not a big Meat Eater this sounds really good! I would eat one,,, I love Corn too! Good luck for my Giveaway! Make sure you follow all the steps to win Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elie! Oh, I love this and it brought back a big rush of memories because my son just adored corn dogs as a child! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe at Best of the Weekend - pinning! Hope you have a happy and wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! My kids would love to have these for lunch or a fun movie night dinner treat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hold the phone. You just made my day, girl! Corn dogs are one of the things I miss most about American cuisine that I can't easily here in the UK! Making this for sure! :) And I'm featuring you tomorrow on Tasty Tuesday! Thanks for sharing htese with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun! Corn dogs are so much better than just plain old hot dogs anyways. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing. Pinning to make with my kiddos soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These is a fantastic idea!!
    Who doesn't love corndogs?
    We are featuring you on Tell Me About It Tuesday this week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete